Thursday 6 November 2014

Muharram Procession in Nainital

The Mourning of Muharram, Remembrance of Muharram, or Muharram Observances, is a set of rituals associated with Shia Islam, which takes place in Muharram, the first month of the Islamic calendar. Many of the events associated with the ritual take place in congregation halls known as Hussainia.
Majlis in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

The event marks the anniversary of the Battle of Karbala when Imam Hussein ibn Ali, the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad, and a Shia Imam, was killed by the forces of the second Umayyad caliph Yazid I at Karbala. Family members, accompanying Hussein ibn Ali, were killed or subjected to humiliation. The commemoration of the event during yearly mourning season, from first of Muharram to twentieth of Safar with Ashura comprising the focal date, serves to define Shia communal identity. At present, Muharram Observances are carried out in countries with noteworthy Shia population, including Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Lebanon, India, and Bahrain.







5 comments:

  1. The mourning of war, a festival seems awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting documentary shots - although I do wonder if such events perpetuates the "them and us" mentality that drives so much conflict.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne.

    PS: sorry for slow reply, I've been away from home because of work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family members every time say that I am wasting my time hdre at net, except I know I am getting familiarity daily by reading thes nice posts.


    My page - ssite ()

    ReplyDelete